JULY 6, 2018
POSITION NUMBER: 00021096
POSITION STATUS: Temporary 18 months, Full-Time
DIVISION: Creation and Innovation
DEPARTMENT: North West Studio
SALARY RANGE: 08 – $ 61 603 à $ 77 230
UNION CATEGORY: PIPSC
Are you passionate about great storytelling, about exploring the issues that matter, about pushing the boundaries in new audiovisual experiences? So are we. As Canada’s public producer and distributor, the National Film Board has been telling the country’s stories and pioneering breakthroughs in virtually every field of audiovisual content since 1939. But to do this, we need a team that truly reflects the richness and diversity of Canada. If you’d like to be a part of this team—and part of the NFB’s incredible legacy—we’d love to hear from you.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Plans, prepares and manages all administrative facets of the Studio and its productions. Prepares detailed budget forecasting for the production and administrative cost centers for each production and other studio activities. Develops efficient procedures to ensure expenditures and income monitoring. Regularly evaluates the budgetary and financial situation of the studio. Advises and assists the executive producer, producers and other production team members concerning finances, administration and organization during the planning and management of production and other Studio activities.
- Supervises day to day administrative and budgetary aspects of the studio and the productions. Based on situation analysis, makes recommendations to improve workflow and resources of the studio.
- Supervises the Production Coordinator(s) of the Studio and Studio Coordinator, as applicable, identifies and assigns tasks and priorities to them. Trouble shoots and provides direction to the coordinators on an ongoing basis.
- Liaises with Legal Services with respect to agreements and contracts to obtain support for drafting co-production agreements.
- Controls procedures for expenses and revenues, including data entry in the financial system, compliance with financial commitments, validation of the accuracy, the eligibility and the allocation of expenses.
- Prepares the budget for the Studio's projects and monitors the detailed budget estimates considering comments of the executive producer, producers and staff involved.
- Where necessary, negotiates contracts with freelancers, administers co-production agreements in accordance with internal policies with respect to template agreements and collective agreements of various artists' associations, guilds and unions.
- Implements existing administrative policies and practices, including agreements with guilds and contractual obligations.
- Regularly prepares cost reports for each project, analyzes costs, commitments and forecasts and makes the necessary adjustments in agreement with producers.
- Ensures follow-up of the main phases of projects administration and holds meetings with producers and executive producers on the administration of the projects and the Studio.
- Oversees and approves travel arrangements, expense requests, production advances, and expense accounts in accordance with the administrative policies in effect.
- Administers a purchase order control system, monitors non-filmic and other expenses for technical and production services.
- Prepares and / or oversees the preparation of rights files for each production and ensures, under the supervision of the producer of the project and where applicable in collaboration with the associate or line producer, as the case may be, that the documents contained in the rights file are in conformity to the NFB Minimum Rights Policy.
- Assists the executive producer in the administrative aspects of production initiatives, special projects and project proposals.
- If applicable, manages the Studio FAP or ACIC program, receives and analyses proposals, makes recommendations to Executive Producer, monitors budget and services and ensures deliverables as per the FAP or ACIC agreement.
- If applicable, supervises site operations, including accommodations for new staff or contractors, provides communications with building managers and manages office equipment and supplies.
Applicable only for interactive studio:
- Supports questions or queries from other studios on interactive workflow, process, budgeting and contracting, as assigned by the Executive Producer; trains and guide other studio administrator on interactive productions.
- Works with NFB departments to adapt systems (MAM, Cognos ...) to the non-linear realities of interactive works.
- Stays abreast of new models of co-productions of interactive works and new sources of funding that are being created and shares that information with their studio or other divisions, as applicable.
- Prepares and negotiates, as assigned, partnership agreements, in concert with Legal services and the executive producer, producer or production manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or equivalent.
- At least five (5) years experiences in production management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Financial administration and accounting expertise applied to project management within media production and experience using financial systems.
- Experience in establishing contracts for collective agreements of various unions and guilds in the field of media production and accredited under the Status of the Artist Act.
- Experience in drawing up contracts and administering projects in accordance with federal and provincial tax credits and other public funding agencies for co-production projects.
- An understanding of risk management related to production and shoots.
- Ability to analyze many projects from the perspective of expenditure forecasts, timing and financial implications on all the Studio's plans and priorities.
Excellent communication skills, judgment, autonomy, initiative and ability to work as a team.
Ability to co-ordinate several projects simultaneously.
Interested candidates with the above qualifications are invited to apply in writing, including a copy of their résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, BY JULY 29, 2018, citing competition number: CM-00021096.