MARCH 9, 2021
SENIOR DEVOPS & INFRASTRUCTURE SPECIALIST
POSITION NUMBER: 00162790
POSITION STATUS: Continuous, Full-Time
DIVISION: Finance, Operations and Technology
DEPARTMENT: IT & Infrastructure
SALARY RANGE: 10 – 80 486 $ à 102 913 $
UNION CATEGORY: PIPSC
Are you passionate about great storytelling, about exploring the issues that matter, about pushing the boundaries in new audiovisual experiences? So are we. As Canada’s public producer and distributor, the National Film Board has been telling the country’s stories and pioneering breakthroughs in virtually every field of audiovisual content since 1939. But to do this, we need a team that truly reflects the richness and diversity of Canada. If you’d like to be a part of this team—and part of the NFB’s incredible legacy—we’d love to hear from you.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Technical expert in web/Internet-oriented computer infrastructure systems, particularly in the fields of media production and digital accessibility. Guides clients and participates in the development of web-based projects and implementation and integration into NFB infrastructure. Analyzes the client’s needs, proposes solutions, and designs and implements infrastructures to ensure the smooth running of the project. Collaborates with the other members of the IT team to improve the quality of service provided. Acts as a bridge between development teams and the infrastructure team.
- Participates in the development and delivery of computer or web projects, analyzes and studies the feasibility of projects, evaluates possible solutions and determines the programming required to guarantee their success.
- Advises the producers and developers on industry standards and the choice of web tools or platforms.
- Participates in establishing NFB standards for web development projects.
- Ensures the good fit of the project within the NFB infrastructure.
- Ensures data and project security and conformity with NFB standards.
- Performs detailed design and programming of modules or systems in order to meet specific project requirements, taking into account their evolutionary capabilities and integration into the NFB’s architecture.
- Takes ownership of and fully understands web projects delivered to the NFB and ensures the projects’ support and evolution in the NFB infrastructure.
- Modifies the projects to ensure the security and optimal use of NFB infrastructure and compatibility with system upgrades.
- Debugs, diagnoses and resolves software issues in different programming languages under different developing frameworks and running different operating systems.
- Manages and runs web and interactive productions.
- Compiles, debugs and deploys mobile applications on various platforms, such as the Apple App Store and Google Play.
- Acts as a second-tier support and assists users with the applications and systems under their responsibility.
- Works in close collaboration with the infrastructure team in establishing systems interoperability.
- Provides expertise in web development, database systems and application infrastructures.
- Keeps own skills up-to-date, performs technology watch and stays abreast of recent developments in the industry on a technical level.
- Conducts research and testing on new technologies; tracks and participates in the development of standards and technological choices
With regard to infrastructure administration:
- Implements cloud infrastructure, including servers, networks, and firewalls in virtual environments.
- Establishes secured links for data updates between internal and external systems.
- Configures and manages various web servers and video-broadcast servers.
- Implements, monitors and operates the virtual servers in the public cloud.
- Contributes to the upkeep of websites used at the NFB, including the online viewing site, NFB.CA; the institutional site, ONF-NFB.GC.CA; the educational site; and the online stores.
- Updates and maintains the operating systems under their responsibility.
- Contributes to solving complex problems that require analysis and a comprehensive and thorough understanding of all the variables.
With regard to system architecture:
- Designs infrastructure architecture to respond to the project’s specific technological, economic and performance criteria.
- Draws UML diagrams and designs solution architecture for various projects.
- Guides the developers to implement the designed infrastructure requirements.
- Adapts current infrastructures to meet new projects.
- Implements solutions to optimize operating costs and streamline the IT infrastructure.
With regard to database administration:
- Installs and configures various database servers required for specific projects (MySQL, REDIS, Memcached, Amazon RDS for MySQL, Aurora DB, Maria DB).
- Administers external database servers, including data operations, maintenance, security, optimization, batch processing, migration and data transformation.
- Coaches developers and assists them in writing effective data-access requests.
- Creates and manages various database environments (e.g., feasibility demonstration, development, testing, training and production environments).
- Ensures the backup, failover, scaling of the databases systems under administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent;
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in a similar position or as DevOps, Internet Analyst, Software Analyst and/or System Administrator;
- Proficiency in operating systems (Linux: Ubuntu, Redhat) and IP network operation;
- Strong experience with cloud computing and cloud infrastructure (primarily Amazon AWS and knowledge of Azure), strong knowledge and experience with cloud storage, CDN, video streaming;
- Experience in architecting and implementing complex systems;
- Knowledge in configuring, administering and troubleshooting MySQL, Oracle or SQL Server databases;
- Experience with web development tools, platforms and frameworks, such as Django, Smarty, Grails, CodeIgniter, Laravel, Angular, WordPress, SVN, Node JS, and GIT;
- Good knowledge of the Internet, covering various techniques, and the ability to adjust to a variety of requests related to web projects;
- Experience with infrastructure automation tools and software such as Ansible, Puppet and Chef; experience in configuration of high-availability databases and performance of recovery testing;
- Knowledge of software and systems concepts (e.g., MVC, SOA) and architectures (e.g., three tiers);
- Proven track record in installing and configuring web servers (apache, nginx);
- Experience working with DNS systems (bind, including route 53);
- Knowledge of SSL Certificates;
- Knowledge of web security solutions such as mod_security, Amazon security groups, etc.;
- Bilingualism in both official languages (French and English), both orally and in writing.
- Adapts easily to changing priorities;
- Sense of organization, thoroughness, results-oriented, meets deadlines;
- Effectiveness in finding solutions adapted to needs;
- Autonomy, attention to detail, team spirit, analytic capacity and ability to synthesize;
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Availability to work outside regular work hours, on call, or remotely.
Interested candidates with the above qualifications are invited to apply in writing, including a copy of their résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, citing competition number: SN-00162790.
The NFB is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that’s reflective of Canadian society. It promotes initiatives such as employment equity and encourages candidates to voluntarily indicate in their cover letter if they are a woman, a member of a First Nations group, Inuk, Métis, a person with a disability, or a member of a visible-minority group.
The NFB is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. Feel free to advise us of any accommodation needs.
Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.