Python Back-End Developer
Are you an experienced and versatile web developer who’s passionate about technology? Are you interested in contributing beyond writing code, and participating in the design of web applications? Are you a true team player with strong social and soft skills? Then this is the job for you. As a Web Developer at the National Film Board of Canada (NFB), you’ll ensure that the user experience is slick and optimized for speed, scalability and usability.
Why join the NFB? It is the only institution of its kind in the world that produces and distributes auteur animation, documentaries in every form, and interactive work, for both Canadian and international audiences. Our primary means of sharing this creative wealth is the NFB.ca website and the NFB Films app. And to do this, we need a team that truly reflects the richness and diversity of Canada. If you’d like to be a part of this team—and part of the NFB’s incredible legacy—we’d love to hear from you.
- Join the NFB Platforms team as a Web Developer in a temporary (12-months with possibility of extension), full-time position. You’ll earn a salary in the range of $72,687 to $92,027, plus enjoy a variety of employee benefits—including medical and dental coverage, a government pension plan, and a competitive paid-leave schedule.
- Work in the brand-new NFB office space in downtown Montreal, located in the dynamic and arts-centric Quartier des Spectacles, surrounded inside and outside by creators, producers and media professionals. Remote working is an option.
- Immerse yourself in an exciting mandate: combine the art of design with the art of programming in the creation of NFB corporate digital products, including websites, apps and more (e.g., NFB Films app, NFB.ca).
- Access to training budgets to keep up with the latest trends related to upcoming projects, in an environment that encourages and supports continuous learning.
You’re an open-minded, highly motivated individual with a passion for technology and a keen sense of how users interact with web and mobile tech. You’re a team player who communicates well, and you don’t take yourself too seriously, but you know when it’s time to hunker down and get to it! You like diversity, you’re a future-oriented programmer and, most importantly, you like a challenge. You’re a pro at juggling multiple projects simultaneously. You take initiative, work effectively solo and demonstrate great judgement. You’re able to stay flexible, cope with pressure and communicate well at all times. Must be willing to tolerate regular cat pictures and videos being shared on Slack.
Also, you possess:
- A university degree in an appropriate discipline, such as computer science, software engineering or equivalent combination of work and educational experience;
- At least three (3) years or more of relevant work experience in web development or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Expertise in test-driven development to ensure that a high-quality, maintainable software is developed;
- Strong experience with the Python programming language;
- Experience building/maintaining websites with web frameworks such as Django or Flask;
- Expertise in designing RESTful API, to provide a clear separation of concerns connecting front-end interfaces and apps to back-end services;
- Knowledge of PHP and React Native is an asset;
- Knowledge of data stores (MySQL, ElasticSearch or Mongo), of caching technologies (such as Redis and Memcache) and of server technologies (such as Apache2 or Nginx);
- Very good knowledge of Git and Git workflows (code reviews, branching, merge/pull requests) and repository managers (Gitlab/Github);
- Interest in containerization technologies (Docker) to build and containerize applications;
- Good knowledge of AGILE methodology: daily stand-ups, planning, retrospectives and sprint reviews, etc.;
- Comfortable working in a UNIX environment;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in both official languages (English and French).
If you are interested in this position and have the qualifications above, we invite you to apply in writing, including a copy of your resumé, to firstname.lastname@example.org, BY MARCH 30, 2021, citing competition number SN-00021351.
The NFB is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that’s reflective of Canadian society. It promotes initiatives such as employment equity and encourages candidates to voluntarily indicate in their cover letter if they are a woman, a member of a First Nations group, Inuk, Métis, a person with a disability, or a member of a visible-minority group.
The NFB is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. Feel free to advise us of any accommodation needs.
Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.